Tyrella is a wide, flat, two kilometre long stretch of beach located within Dundrum Bay, Downpatrick in County Down. It has been awarded the prestigious Seaside Award annually since 1997, the Blue flag award in 2011 and the Green Coast Award since 2008. No need for a can of coke to kill the bugs when you’ve finished riding at this beach!
Tyrella Beach is a popular kitesurfing spot and features small kickers to medium sized waves.
Tyrella is a south facing beach and will work on anything from ESE to SW, anything beyond SW starts to get gusty as the Mourne Mountains sit directly to the WSW, only a few miles away.
Tyrella can be flown at all tide states, but there isn't much beach left to launch/land at high tide.
Tyrella features small kickers to medium sized waves. Ideal for both freestylers and wave riders.
- Kitesurfing is allowed all year round
- During the summer months the beach has a lifeguard and a swimming zone which you'll need to stay out of.
- Features information signs at the beach entrance.
- Suitable for all abilities.
- Carpark (free off-season)
- Mobile snack van
- Lifeguard (in the summer months)
- You'll see wooden posts at either end of the beach. They're easily spotted.
- There is a reef which is revealed at low tide, at the far eastern end of the beach opposite the far posts.
- A small patch of stones locate in the middle of the beach and show at mid-tide.
Getting There & Parking
Use the map below for an exact location for your satnav.
There's a Parking area at beach entrance which is free out of season, and attracts a fee of a few pounds in summer months.
Weather Forecast & Live Readings
I'm hoping at some point to get a decent feed into the site for weather, but until then here's a link to 7 day wind forecast for Tyrella Beach.
And if you're wondering if it's on right now, this is the closest we could find: Latest hour by hour wind readings, Glenanne.