Starr Gate is situated in the district of Lytham in Blackpool, just a few hundred metres from Blackpool Pleasure Beach. But don’t let that put you off, Starr Gate is a pretty cool kite beach with a big kite surfing scene.
The waves here can get pretty big so bring your wave board. If flat water shredding is your thing, you might want to head to the neighbouring beach, St Anne’s.
Starr Gate will work on anything from NNW all the way around to SSE. The neighbouring beach St Anne’s works on SSE clockwise all the way round to NW, if the wind swings round a bit.
Starr Gate works on all but the highest tide, where the water goes right into the dunes, but there's very little room for launching and landing at high tide. The beach has a large tidal range, so at low tide, prepare for a long hike to the water (the bonus is that you can ride it all the way back to the dunes as tide rolls back in).
St Anne's is a wave venue, but they're usually pretty messy. With an on-shore wind, you can ride all the way down to St Anne's, where you'll find flat water lagoons.
If you plan to visit often, Blackpool Light Craft Club offers:
- Single or joint family membership.
- Swift 14-day application to election process.
- Access to Club facilities 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.
- Secure parking for our members’ vehicles with direct access to the beach.
- Kit wash down facilities.
- Clubhouse with male and female changing rooms, showers and toilets, kitchen facilities, licensed bar, lounge area and balcony with beach and sea views.
Call them on 01253 344096. New members are most welcome.
- On street parking. Can be a pain to find.
- Blackpool – pubs, chippies etc.
- Blackpool Light Craft Club (BLCC).
- Crazy Golf, if that’s your thing.
The swell can get pretty big when you head out, best to stick nearer the beach unless you’re really confident.
Getting There & Parking
Getting to Starr Gate is really easy. Follow the signs for Blackpool Airport. You’ll come down the A5230 with the airport on your left. When you reach the end you’re pretty much opposite the Blackpool Light Craft Club. In the past I’ve parked in the lay-by outside their gates, but I’m told that if you do that now you’re asking for a ticket. There are a few on street places round and about instead.
Weather Forecast & Live Readings
I’m hoping at some point to get a decent feed into the site for weather, but until then here’s a link to 7 day wind forecast for Blackpool.
And if you’re wondering if it’s on right now, there’s the Met Office reading taken hourly: Latest hour by hour wind readings, Crosby. Or if you don’t fancy that one, there’s a last live wind reading from Blackpool Airport – click the current (METAR) tab.